Cheerios First Birthday Smash Cake
Give your baby a healthier first birthday cake to smash!
1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist® yellow cake mix
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 medium)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 container (6 oz) Yoplait® Original 99% Fat Free French vanilla yogurt
- Golden yellow gel or paste food color
- 1/2 cup Cheerios™ cereal
- Step 1Heat oven to 350°F. (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease with shortening or cooking spray bottom only of 1 (6-inch) round cake pan and place paper baking cups in 16 regular-size muffin cups.
- Step 2In large bowl, beat cake mix, bananas, oil, water and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally until smooth. Place 1 3/4 cups batter in 6-inch round pan. Spoon remaining batter into 16 lined muffin cups. Bake round cake 35 to 40 minutes and cupcakes for 18 to 23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Step 3In small bowl, beat cream cheese and yogurt on medium speed with electric mixer until creamy and smooth. Stir in the food color until mixture is desired color.
- Step 4To frost and decorate cake, slice 6-inch round cake horizontally to remove rounded top. Place cake cut side down on plate. Frost top and sides with cream cheese frosting. Place 2 rows of cereal around the bottom edge of side of cake. Place 1 row of cereal around top edge of cake. In top center of cake, arrange cereal to form the number one.
- Step 5Use remaining frosting to frost cupcakes. Top with cereal to decorate, if desired. Store cake and cupcakes in refrigerator.
- If short on time? Substitute Betty Crocker Whipped fluffy white frosting in place of the frosting in recipe. Add food color to get desired color.
- No 6-inch round cake? Use 8-inch round cake pan. Fill pan with 2 1/2 cups batter, bake 25 to 30 minutes. Use remaining batter to make 15 cupcakes. Make a paper template for a 6-inch circle. Place template on 8-inch cake and use it to cut out 6-inch round cake.
Calories: 170, Calories from Fat: 80, Cholesterol: 35 mg, Potassium: 85 mg, Sodium: 190 mg, Total Carbohydrate: 20 g, Total Fat: 9 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Protein: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Sugars: 2 g, Fats & Oils: 1 tsp